Monday, April 13, 2009

Conference

Since my purpose in creating a blog has been to keep a journal of our family and of my thoughts, I felt it appropriate to share some thoughts from conference. For my friends and family who are not members of our church, twice a year we watch a broadcast from Salt Lake where our church leaders, namely our prophet and his apostles, speak to us. These talks are prayerfully prepared under the direction of the Lord. Each speaker has his own topic. Usually, there seems to be a theme that runs through the conference. This year, it seemed to me that the theme was to prepare us for hard times, but also to find joy in the process and to remember who it is that we look to for guidance. My favorite talks were Elder Hale's where he talked about living within our means, Elder Holland, who spoke about the Savior and His atonement for man, and Elder Bednar who spoke on the importance of visiting the temple. I especially liked how he spoke about the protection of going to the temple regularly. That has made it's impression on me and I am trying harder now than ever before to go at least once a month. As a child, conference was a long two-day weekend event that included playing with quiet books and eating Mom's hard candy from her purse. Now, it is what recharges me and reminds me of what is most important. I have such a testimony of those teachings and of what it does for those who hear those words and act accordingly. We do not pretend to be a perfect people, however, we try awfully hard!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to see you back.

Elder Holland's was my fav by far...it spoke directly to my personal struggles lately...love love love conference...I think it is more for those of us that know how imperfect we are than those that are already there. :)

Katy Beth said...

Wasn't it wonderful! We are trying to make it to the temple more often too. We'll have to go together sometime!